Fancy a delicious dessert? Maybe a super simple traditional apple pie with a BBQ twist? This recipe is really easy and fun – if you are in grilling-mode. We did this all the time last summer and I have to say that I quite like the idea of BBQ desserts!
Ok this is me translating a recipe originally in Icelandic – so bear with me – this is definitely not my forte but here goes…
GRILLED APPLE PIE
- 2 green apples, cored and sliced
- 2 red apples, cored and sliced
- 2 yellow apples, cored and sliced
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3,5 oz butter
- butter pastry dough (6 in x 6 in – about 2/3 in thick)
- Melt 2 tbs of sugar on a medium hot pan until golden brown. Add two more tablespoons of the sugar to the melted one and then gradually and slowly add two more until you have all the sugar golden brown and delicious. Stir constantly.
- When the sugar is golden brown and melted you add the heavy cream. Stir and let simmer until the sugar has dissolved and you have a pan full of beautiful caramel.
Add the butter and put the caramel aside.
- Put the apples in a ceramic casserole, a pan or anything you can either bake the pie in or put on the grill. Put the butter pastry dough carefully over the apples and grill for about 25-35 minutes. If you put it on the grill then remember to put the lid over so that the dough will bake properly.
Note: if you put it on a traditional coal grill then it´s highly recommended that you put it on after the main course – that way the coals aren´t as hot!!
Ok – hope this makes sense … as I told you before, I´m not really good at this – remember – I´m the eater!!! And this apple pie is really really good! Enjoy.